Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tales from the Crypt

It's time for my update of random events.  Ready GO!

1. Kyle made his senior recital poster with pictures of he and Aaron on it (Aaron is directing the orchestra).  Both of these guys are geeks.  Everyone know that.  They know that.  Talented geeks, but geeks nonetheless.  And they both spend way too much time trying to impress the ladies by coming off as these attractive, professional, intense musicians.  Kyle wanted his poster to send that message of course, so both he and Aaron are staring at you dead serious with these really intense resolute looks.  Well of course no one was taking the poster seriously.  Aaron was holding his baton like he was Harry Potter about to defend himself with his wand, and as I stared at it more, I realized how much Kyle looked like professor Snape with short hair holding the neck of a cello.  So I spent a good two or three hours finding the perfect pictures on the internet to turn this poster into a Harry Potter movie advertisement.  Snape's head fit perfectly onto Kyle's and the cello neck turned into a broom.  For Aaron, I cut out just Harry's hair and glasses, both of which were slightly too small, giving it this really awkward geeky look.  Of course then I drew a lightning bolt on his forehead, and he already had the wand.  Then I taped it up on Kyle's locker.  It turned out really well if I may say so myself.  I wasn't there, but I heard it attracted quite a crowd, and I got compliments on it for the rest of the day.  Kyle hunted me down but he was a good sport about it and left it hanging on the inside of his locker.
 
2. So a little over a week ago we played a couple of days in the new dining area in the MC to advertise for the Wycliffe Gordon concert that weekend.  Well for like two weeks we'd been complaining and joking about how ridiculous the Wycliffe poster was that Center Stage designed because it had a picture of Wycliffe against a blue background with a yellow circle around his head, which was functioning as the "O" in GordOn.  So the message being conveyed was one of three things: 1. Wycliffe, your fat head is so round we thought it'd make a good "O"; 2. Wycliffe, your head is so round we thought we'd make it look like the moon; 3. Wycliffe, we admire you so much we decided to saint you and give you a big yellow halo.  In fact the first thing most people noticed was that it looked like he had a halo.

So anyway we were performing with one of those posters set up next to us and this girl comes up to me and says, "So what do you think about that poster?"  Without hesitation and without even thinking I turned to her and said very matter-of-factly, "Oh it's hideous."  She looked a little stunned and suddenly it dawned on me and I said, "Oh!  Are you the girl that designed them?"

Yup.  I talked to her for a minute and it turned out she had done her research and now I can see what vintage style she was going for, but it just turned out really awkward.  I apologized like a million times.

3. The Wycliffe concert was awesome.

4. I went to FHE for the first time in who-knows-how-long where they had a grand showing of The Incredibles in the cultural hall on a huge projector screen with popcorn and everything.  I'm finally making singles branch friends I can hang with, largely because my roommate is one of the integral members of that social scene.

5. I've been getting to know this girl Shanda who's a folk singer/guitarist/photographer/soccer player from California, so we started hanging out this week, mostly talking music and movies.  Her family is a bunch of intense movie buffs.

6. I've feel like I've become the cultural center of my singles branch because word got out that I'm into foreign flicks and now all these people have been borrowing my movies and watching them all week.  My Mongolian friend Roza watched The Color of Paradise from 2-4:00am last night and said she cried all the way through it, which is just kinda funny because she's one of the most happy, care-free people I know.

7. Thursday night Emily found me practicing and explained that she needed me to accompany her to a dance lab right then because her stalker was bound to be there.  We went, but it ended a lot sooner than she thought, so we got in a cha-cha-cha (FYI that's it's real name), fox trot, waltz and a couple of swings and it was over.  But we won some silly string for striking our best interpretive dance poses!  Then we made french toast at 10:00 at night with way too much nutmeg and it was scrumptious.

8. Last night we had a Vernal Equinox BBQ at Holly and Pili's place.  Somehow I got stuck grilling all the burgers and hotdogs.  I don't know how that happened.  It ended with Shanda and Pili doing several songs with the guitar.  They're both really pretty good.  Shanda had texted me that afternoon to announce the precise minute at which the vernal equinox was taking place.  I'm pretty sure I could feel it.  And it was fitting that it was the first day of spring because it was the first warm day we've had all year.

9. This morning Ryan, Shanda, Meagan, Roza and I went to the college flea market that some business students are doing for their project this semester.  It was actually really big with some pretty good booths, but it was apparent that several people were just using their booth as a garage sale.  Favorite parts: the booth selling a bunch of a used clothes and a bowling ball, the booth selling cats(?), the TWO booths selling flowery tutus, the booth selling edited movies including an edited version of a Hannah Montana video, and the random tire for sale that I didn't know which booth it belonged to.  Afterward we went ate lunch on the grass in the park in the SUN.

10.  Tonight I went to Guitars Unplugged at the last minute with Emily, and after we went to Ingrid's and ended up playing Guitar Hero which we were all really bad at.  Well then Ingrid's roommate comes in and I said I'd play against her and she looked at me like, "Whatever dude," sitting there chomping on her gum like it was cud and playing with her hair and staring at the ceiling and looking totally unimpressed with everyone.  And then she puts it on Expert mode which is LITERALLY almost impossible, and she starts playing and her fingers are FLYING and she's getting almost every note.  It was the craziest thing I've ever seen.  Her fingers were just a blur.  It's like she was this Guitar Hero prodigy.  As ridiculous as it sounds, and as much as I didn't want to admit it because she was being a brat, it was actually kind of inspiring.  Like, I don't think I'm even that coordinated on the sax.  The funny thing is I guess the game got her into actually picking up the the guitar a couple of years ago and Ingrid said she's really good at it now.

1 comment:

  1. What lovely adventure-filled days! I feel like a loser sometimes because I get in the habit of just waiting for things to happen...maybe I should just take initiative. =)

    Thanks for sharing your tales from the crypt. They have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete